Finding Joy in Little things
I’ve come to realize that finding joy in the smallest of things is one of those gems of life. The problem is, because we have our blinkers on we haven’t realized how precious they are. Yes, there is great joy in the proposal on the beach and the first words uttered by your child, but are we missing the details? Are we missing out on a whole other level of joy that could fill our lives? Joyous moments abound if we pay closer attention!
I’d like to look at a list of pure, simple joys that I think are often overlooked and undervalued (Please add to the list in the comments, I’d love to see it grow!). Simple pleasures that elevate our life experience if we will only stop to notice them.
I want you to take a moment to really put yourself into the feeling and experience of these joyful moments that I’ve listed. Re-create them if you can, even better! The idea is to really wake up to the fact that these small, often unnoticed, experiences can actually bring great joy. This is personal, of course, but there is something on the list for all of us to ponder on. Have you stopped to enjoy these moments or do you let them slip by you?
Joy in Fragrances
- The smell of crushed mint or lemons
- The smell of freshly brewed coffee or freshly baked bread
- That smell that hangs in the air when rain is on the way
- The distinctive smell of chocolate!
- The smell of new born babies (and puppies!)
Smells can trigger memories in an instant, more than any of our other senses. They just take us right back to that place. A perfume that takes you back to your Grandmothers lap or the smell of a pie baking in the oven reminding you of your Mum. It is a powerful sense that can bring on strong emotions and great joy! Have a think about a scent that stirs happy emotions in you.
Joy in Touch
- The feel of a fluffy blanket against your face
- The Winter sun on your skin on a cold day
- Dipping beneath the water on a hot Summers day
- Feeling your cat purring on your lap, all curled up in a ball
- The feeling of soft rain on your skin
- Sand between your toes
- The comfort of nuzzling your face into a loved one’s neck
Touch makes everything more real. Where smell can feel quite ethereal touch makes you feel more present in the moment. These experiences are all comforting, a wonderful way to be more connected and mindful in the moment.
Joy in Sound
- Closing your eyes and listening to the sounds of nature while on a bush walk
- Listening to a song that takes you to a happy place
- The sound of the waves crashing on the shore
- The sound of laughter
- Listening to someone playing an instrument live: acoustic guitar or piano
There’s a lot that can be said for the power of sound. Music can lift your mood instantly, laughter is pure magic, and nature has a beautiful way of making us feel alive! Pay attention to the shift in your emotions when you hear sounds that you enjoy. Stop and acknowledge how these simple joys affect your life.
Joy in Sight
- The perfect design of a seashell
- Watching a butterfly fluttering by
- The light shining through the leaves on a tree
- The water trickling over the rocks in a stream
- Watching a ladybird crawl across your fingers
- Watching children play with bubbles or splash in puddles
Our sight could be the sense we take for granted the most. We use it all the time, for every experience, so we often don’t appreciate it as much. Take the ladybird as an example. It grabs our attention because we don’t expect it. We focus on the colours and the design of this perfect little creature. We marvel at it. But, do you pay as much attention the the beauty of the seashell? After all, there are so many of them. But, pick one up and look more closely and you will become mesmerized by the beauty of its intricate design, just like the ladybird. Take the time to marvel at nature’s beauty more closely.
Joy in Emotions
- The way you feel when you’ve done something kind for someone
- The moment when your favourite song completely lifts your mood
- When you’re feeling down and someone sends you a text at just the right time
- That flash of a beautiful memory that comes out of nowhere to brighten your day
- Running through the rain instead of hiding from it
- The synchronicity of a phone call from someone you’ve been thinking about
Life is made up of just a few major events. The rest are millions of small ones. This larger part of our lives often goes unnoticed. Take the time to realize that you are missing out on so much of your life if you don’t pay closer attention to these moments. They are often so much more beautiful than the heavier, negative moments in our lives that we pay way more attention to. Let’s make an effort to bring these moments into sharper focus. It will make us more mindful, more grateful and happier. It will make us realize that there is so much positive to focus on and help us to let go of the negative.
Another blog you might enjoy: Live in the Moment
Or, head over to this blog, they have so many inspirational quotes on the little things.
Don’t forget to add to the list in the comments, let’s get creative and inspire each other!
Pin for Later