25 Mindfulness Quotes for a Deeper Awareness
These mindfulness quotes have been chosen because they help us to understand the value of stopping for a moment and becoming aware of our lives. There is something magical about awareness. It is like seeing for the first time. Mindfulness opens the door to this. It allows us to appreciate the beauty of the world around us. And to see our place within it.
In more recent year’s mindfulness has become more popular, whereas not so long ago, it would almost have been unheard of. Almost as if the word had not yet been coined because it was a foreign concept. But mindfulness is a wonderful way for us to reconnect with ourselves and this world and the more we practise it the more it helps us find a calmer approach to life. It is an extremely valuable shift in our perspective on life and I find it very encouraging that people are taking it more seriously. I hope these quotes help you to take some time to think about the role of mindfulness in your life.
I wanted to start with awareness because it is a common theme that runs through the majority of the quotes that I’ve chosen for this blog. Awareness is the theme, lesson or focal point of these mindfulness quotes for good reason. Mindfulness, in essence, is about awareness. And it is such a powerful tool to use as you travel through this life. Awareness means you are paying attention. And, when you pay attention the details are not lost on you. Sadly, without mindfulness so much of the details of life are lost on so many. How much could we be missing if we aren’t really paying attention? Crazy to think, isn’t it!
Why does tuning into the details matter? Because when you see the details, you also learn to appreciate and value them. You learn: compassion, appreciation, perspective and love. You see the beauty in this world that you are so blessed to live in. Awareness is opening your eyes or taking your blinkers off. Seeing the whole picture instead of focusing on one tiny aspect. Seems contradictory in a way, since mindfulness is usually focusing down on one thing.
But, they go hand in hand. Strengthen the one muscle and you support and strengthen the other. So, for me, starting out being mindful leads to overall awareness. It’s kind of like that tiny ripple that first emerges when you throw that pebble into the water. First it is small, focused on one spot, but its effects grow and spread until they reach further and wider. It’s the same with mindfulness and awareness.
Quotes on Awareness
Here are the mindfulness quotes I’ve chosen for awareness. Take a moment to read, and re-read them to really let them sink in:
1. ‘World is a dance. Mindfulness is witnessing that dance.’ Amit Ray
2. ‘We are no longer happy so soon as we wish to be happier.’ Walter Savage Landor
3. ‘Every time we become aware of a thought, as opposed to being lost in a thought, we experience that opening of the mind.’ Joseph Goldstein
4. ‘Look at other people and ask yourself if you are really seeing them or just your thoughts about them.’ Jon Kabat-Zinn
5. ‘Watch, witness. Your body is not you; your mind is not you. You are just a pure witness.’ Osho
6. ‘Paradise is not a place, it’s a state of consciousness.’ Sri Chinmoy
7. ‘Observe the space between your thoughts, then observe the observer.’ Hamilton Boudreaux
8. ‘If it’s out of your hands, it deserves freedom from your mind too.’ Ivan Nuru
9. ‘It’s not what you look at that matters, it’s what you see.’ Henry David Thoreau
10. ‘Wisdom says we are nothing. Love says we are everything. Between these two our life flows.’ Jack Kornfield
11. ‘Mindfulness is awareness without criticism or judgment.’ Jan Chozen Bays
12. ‘There’s only one reason why you’re not experiencing bliss at this present moment, and it’s because you’re thinking or focusing on what you don’t have. But, right now you have everything you need to be in bliss.’ Anthony de Mello
Another theme that ties in with the mindfulness quotes is being present. These quotes really help us to think about whether we are fully present in our lives. This moment right now is all we have and yet we let them slip by time and again without paying much attention to how we have ‘spent’ it. Literally, we have ‘spent’ that moment. Given it away. And, what have you spent your moments on? Are you spending them with those you love? Do you spend them being the best person you can be? Are you spending them doing things that you love, that inspire you?
When we read these mindfulness quotes we need to really let them sink in. Take them seriously, take the lessons they have to share. Stop for a moment and look around you. Where are you? Is it school pick up and you’re killing time? Are you in a waiting room somewhere? Or, are you sitting across from someone at a coffee shop, reading this on your phone?
This is where it gets conflicting for me! I am here to inspire you to live your best life, and I love that you are here! BUT, for just this moment, I’d rather you put your phone down and spent this precious time with the real life person in front of you. In literally the blink of an eye you would have missed this moment. And, once it’s gone it’s gone. There is nothing more beautiful than being present in the moment. Come back to this when you are needing inspiration.
Quotes on Being Present:
Read these quotes and consider if you are fully present in your life. Is there somewhere that you need to make a change?
13. ‘Be where you are, otherwise you will miss your life.’ Buddha
14. ‘Mindfulness is a way of befriending ourselves and our experience.’ Jon Kabat-Zinn
15. ‘If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath.’ Amit Ray
16. ‘The present moment is the only time over which we have dominion.’ Thich Nhat Hanh
17. ‘Wherever you are, be there totally.’ Eckhart Tolle
18. ‘Do every act of your life as though it were the last act of your life.’ Marcus Aurelius
Mindfulness is really a form of meditation as it allows space to quiet the mind and be present. It is about looking more closely at yourself and your life and learning to accept what is. Being still is the only way to calm the mind and allow it to see more clearly. Meditation gives us that.
These quotes help us to see the link, the similarities between mindfulness and meditation. Both are very much centred around peace and stillness. This is where their power lies.
Quotes on Mindful Meditation
19. ‘Meditation practise isn’t about trying to throw ourselves away and become something better. It’s about befriending who we are already.’ Pema Chodron
20. ‘Mindfulness meditation doesn’t change life. Life remains as fragile and unpredictable as ever. Meditation changes the heart’s capacity to accept life as it is.’ Sylvia Boorstein
21. ‘When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. When I let go of what I have, I receive what I need.’ Lao Tzu
22. ‘The mind is like water. When it’s turbulent, it’s difficult to see. When it’s calm, everything becomes clear.’ Prashad Mahes
23. ‘Our life is shaped by our mind, for we become what we think.’ Buddha
24. ‘Mindfulness isn’t difficult, we just need to remember to do it.’ Sharon Salzberg
25. ‘Much of spiritual life is self-acceptance, maybe all of it.’ Jack Kornfield
Make Mindfulness a Must
I can’t tell you which came first for me, Mindfulness or Meditation. It think my natural appreciation for nature probably means I’ve always been a mindful sort. But, what I do know is they compliment each other and that with my meditation practise I have become so much more aware of the joy that comes from being more mindful about my life. I am always going to be the one pushing the whole mindfulness and meditation thing because I honestly believe it changed my life and wish I could get everyone to at least try it! If nothing else, I hope these mindfulness quotes get you to think about how tuning in absolutely heightens the quality of the experience of this thing called life! Thanks for reading and enjoy every moment.
If you enjoyed this blog, head over and check out this one: 15 Eye Opening Self-Awareness Quotes
Let me share some of my favourite Personal Growth resources with you!
I’m always looking for Personal Growth courses and Udemy have so many at affordable prices. Here’s a list of Courses
Pin for later! or design your own on Canva