12 Self-Care Tips on a Budget
Tips on how can we achieve an impactful level of self-care on a budget
I don’t know about you but when I hear self-care I think of a) time I do not have and b) overpriced ‘spa days’. 12 self-care tips on a budget does not come to mind.
So, I’m here today to give you a few tips on how you can give back to yourself without having to organize a babysitter or take out a loan.
Let’s start with what self-care really means. In this busy life we all live, it quite simply comes down to taking time for yourself. Time away from EVERYTHING. It means having a moment where you acknowledge your own feelings and give yourself permission to breathe. Really, it’s about shaking off the rest of the world for a moment and allowing yourself to just be you.
So, how do we make self-care more achievable?
We have to take a closer look at ourselves for this one! Why do we tell ourselves there isn’t enough time and that self-care can wait? We look at the lists we have prepared of ‘things to do’ and cannot see a way to fit in time for ourselves. The reality is, it’s up to us. Taking time for yourself can be anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 hours. Yes, if you have been denying yourself for too long you will probably need more time, but you can start small. When you see that the act of completely switching off from your stressors relaxes your shoulders and lightens your load, you will want to add 5 more minutes!
How about we start by being completely honest with ourselves? Take a moment to think about how much time you spend scrolling on your phone. We fall into a trap and before you know it you’ve lost 2hrs of your life (or more). There are different reasons we go on the internet but mainly we are either looking for information or inspiration. The problem is once we are in the mindset of finding inspiration we kinda don’t want to give up until we find it. So, we scroll and we scroll. In the end we toss the phone into a corner feeling frustrated. We don’t feel inspired and we have lost precious time that could have been focused on our self-care. Am I right? So, instead of getting lost in the scroll, let’s have a look at our self-care tips on a budget to get us started.
What small steps can I take today?
Quick and easy:
- Make a hot cup of tea or coffee and sit quietly by yourself with your thoughts. No distractions. Walk out into the garden if you need to but make sure you have those few quiet moments alone. This is self-care tip no.1 because it’s an easy, no-excuses start to taking time for yourself.
- Paint your nails. Again, the self-care comes in the time spent alone. Painting your nails can be a great exercise in mindfulness and gets your head out of the craziness of daily life.
- Learn how to breathe deep, clear breathes. When we are stressed we tend to breathe shallow, anxious breaths. Try to focus on taking deep breaths, this is a quick and very effective way to calm yourself almost immediately and self-care is not possible without being calm.
- Eat well. We all enjoy our treats but try to get into the habit of eating food that energizes your body – read my blog on Smoothies for inspiration on self-care for your body in a healthy and super speedy way.
A little bit longer:
- Go for a walk anywhere in nature. I have yet to meet a person that doesn’t feel happier after a walk in nature. It is calming and invigorating all at the same time and a great way to reconnect with ourselves. Just grab your favourite pair of Nike and off you go!
- Meditation is a wonderful way to be kind to yourself. This can be anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour. It is a simple act of being still and allowing yourself a quiet space and is both self-care and self-discovery. See resource link below for my recommendation.
- Exercise is an important element of self-care. For me it is yoga because not only does it strengthen my body but also my mind and that is self-care at its best! You can do a 10min session or a 90min session and set your own pace. If you’re looking for some quality, gorgeous yoga gear check out the range at Lulu Lemon and for my recommended FREE resources check out the link below.
- Reading. Instead of scrolling on your phone pick up a book and read. This is going with the common theme of ‘time alone’. Time to exercise your imagination or develop yourself in some way. I have found my reading time to be so rewarding. Read my review on Thrive by Arianna Huffington, a book that goes so much deeper into our priorities, a truly inspiring read.
- Date night’s can seem like a luxury for those time starved among us but these are super important. Whether it’s with your partner or a close friend, it is essential that you give back to yourself by being in the company of those people that lift you up and make you smile. And, it doesn’t have to break the bank either. Make it a coffee date or fish and chips on the beach, just make the effort to spend time together. This may not seem like a typical self-care tip but being social is super important to your emotional wellbeing.
- Unwind in the bath or the shower. Light some candles and let the hot water wash away your troubles.
- Set the scene. Your home is your haven. If your home is messy you cannot feel relaxed. Get everyone involved in tidying up. Then, add some relaxing elements to your décor such as salt lamps and essential oil diffusers. These items make your house a home and make you feel happy to be there. See links below to my recommendations.
Going all in:
- Sleep is like the foundations of our life. So many of us just don’t get enough of it or have poor quality sleep. This affects our lives more than we know. Find ways to ensure a good nights sleep however you can. That can include a decent mattress and pillow, no devices in the bedroom, relaxing music playing, a bath before bedtime etc. This is one of my top tips for self-care, super important!
Some resources that I recommend:
Yoga with Kassandra is a free channel on YouTube that I just love. Kassandra has a great variety of videos for all fitness levels and all time allocations.
Insight Timer is an incredible free resource with meditations ranging from 5min to 30+min, perfect for using on your phone using their app.
Gaia is a wonderful platform for personal development with hundreds of shows and meditations.
The Book Depository has an amazing range of books in all genres to keep you smiling.
Products: Take a look at my list of recommended products. All my products are chosen with the self-care journey in mind.
Disclosure: Some of the links are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
On a last note, just remember that if you don’t treat yourself kindly you are basically running on empty. It doesn’t HAVE to cost and it doesn’t HAVE to take hours. Give yourself just that little bit and see the difference it can make. Let me know in the comments what you thought of my self-care tips, and….
Let’s start a self-care revolution!
Click here to check out some Self-Care Freebies